Chemistry is an exciting class that is designed to introduce you to the world of chemistry and allow you to build a better understanding of the world around you.
This class is designed for the student preparing to continue their education beyond high school. After successfully completing this course, you should have the background necessary to take college chemistry.
Chemistry will challenge you and help you refine your mathematical and scientific skills, as well as your reading and writing skills.
Classroom Rules and Student Responsibilities
· Come to class prepared and on time. On time is defined as being in your assigned seat and ready to work when the bell rings. Students who are late will need to sign in. Be sure to have all necessary materials with you.
· No food or drink is permitted in the classroom. We use dangerous chemicals in this room. This rule is for your own safety.
· Check my Teacher Page on the LHS website after each class. Summaries, homework, due dates, handouts and other information will be posted after every class. This is especially important if/when you are absent.
· No cell phones or other electronic devices.
· You are expected to remain in class throughout the entire class period.
· Bathroom passes will be given as requested.
· Be sure to sign out and return to class quickly and without disruption, you might miss something exciting.
· Follow all school rules outlined in your student handbook.
You will need the following supplies and materials
· 3-ring binder (2 inch) labeled with your name
· Loose-leaf paper
· One package of dividers
· Writing implements: pen, pencil, and eraser
· Scientific calculator
Grades will be based on homework, lab reports, class work, quizzes and tests. Quizzes and tests will make up approximately 55% of your quarter grade. Classwork and laboratory activities will make up 35% of your grade, and homework assignments will make up the remaining 10% of your grade. There will be no retakes of tests.
Your final course grade will be determined as follows:
1st Quarter 20% Midterm Exam 10%
2nd Quarter 20% Final Exam 10%
3rd Quarter 20%
4th Quarter 20%
Due Dates for Assignments
All assignments must be handed in when they are due.
● Classwork and laboratory assignments must be done in class, following teacher instructions. The due date will be given for each assignment. No assignment will be accepted more than one day late, with a 10% deduction per day late.
● Done with work early? Then begin chemistry homework or work in other subjects. No game playing.
● Be responsible for make-up work. Do your best to minimize absences. All hand-outs and make-up assignments can be found on the teacher pages. Class notes will be available on the teacher pages at the end of the unit. Consult a classmate for more immediate access to notes. Labs, quizzes and tests must be made up within two class days.
Honesty is a requirement at Livingston High School. You are required to earn your own grade in this class. I encourage you to work together in study groups. However, cheating will not be tolerated. All offending parties will be considered at fault. You will receive a zero on the assignment and your parents will be contacted. See page 41 in your Student Handbook for more information on what defines cheating.
Cheating is defined as
· Use of notes, books, or notebooks during a test or quiz.
· Speaking with anyone other than the teacher during a test/quiz.
· Copying or stealing homework, labs or any other assignments.
· Sharing test content with students in other class periods
· Although you will be working in a lab group, unless otherwise instructed, the lab assignments should be completed individually. You may discuss the data with group members but the writing should be your own.
Students are expected to show respect for other students, teachers and substitutes. We want this to be a safe learning environment in which students can express opinions and ask questions without concern. Any misbehavior on the part of any student will be strictly dealt with according to the circumstance. Students who display unacceptable conduct during labs will be removed from the class and points will be deducted from their lab.
· Classroom: S24 (period 1, 3, 6). S34 (period 2). Office: between S22/24
· E-mail address: email@example.com
· Office hours/extra help:
Before school every day from 7:20 to 7:40 a.m.
After school every day from 2:45 onwards
· I am here to help! You are welcome to e-mail me with questions or visit with me before and/or after class to discuss whatever is on your mind.
Last Modified on September 6, 2012