Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. Any accredited public or private high school can apply for a local chapter, through which individuals will be inducted into Rho Kappa Honor Society. Rho Kappa provides national recognition and opportunities for exploration in the social studies. Through its sponsorship of Rho Kappa, NCSS hopes to encourage an interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
During the 2015-2016 school year, the Livingston High School Social Studies Department is proud to sponsor a local chapter of Rho Kappa. This chapter will be dedicated to promoting scholarship of the social studies through the recognition of student achievement within the LHS community.
If you are interested in becoming a member of Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society of Livingston High School, please review the following information.
- Any 12th grade student who has enrolled in at least 7 total semesters within the Social Studies program.
- Students must maintain minimum academic criteria of 3.67 social studies GPA and an overall GPA of 3.0.
- Students must demonstrate and continue to maintain appropriate standards of conduct that would be expected from an Honor Society member.
- Students must complete and submit a written application to Mr. Scott Kercher, Chairperson of Social Studies 9-12 or Mrs. Jill Tejeda, Rho Kappa Advisor, by Monday, September 22, 2015.
- Official Application
Application, Selection and Recognition Process
- Students can self-nominate for admission into the Honor Society or students can be encouraged to complete an application by a Social Studies Department member.
- Students must fully complete the written application.
The Selection process will be conducted as follows:
The Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society advisor and the Department chairperson will verify requirements of each potential candidate.
A list of candidates will be distributed to each department member for review.
- The Advisor, Chairperson and faculty designees will review final list and written expressions.
- Candidates may be denied if any one of the criteria is not fully met.
- All candidates will be notified by letter shortly after the final review.
- Successful candidates will have an additional letter forwarded to their guidance counselor and will be invited to an induction ceremony.
Requirements to Maintain Membership
To maintain membership, a student must:
- Maintain academic requirements and standards of behavior representative of the Honor Society admission requirements.
- Attend 70% of the monthly meetings of the Social Studies Honor Society. At these meetings the following requirements will be discussed:
- Participation in at least 5 hours of community service, either independently or through the Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society Service Project.
- Participation in at least one historical essay or presentation competition.
- Payment of $14 for induction fees and Graduation Honors Cords must be made prior to the induction ceremony. All checks must be made payable to Livingston High School and submitted directly to the faculty advisor, Mrs. Jill Tejeda.