DEBATE – HMS- Spring 2013
Mrs. Argen – GT Cluster
Be it resolved that there should be armed security guards in all public schools in the United States.
Suggested Color Code for Attack Cards:
Green - Financial Issues - How will you pay for your plan/counter-plan? Will it cause financial hardships/be a boost to the economy?
Yellow - Feelings/Emotions - How will people feel if the resolution is/is not adopted?
Blue - "Track Record" - Has this, or a similar resolution, been instituted in the past? As it been successful/well received?
White - Miscellaneous
Click here for a copy of the Debate Timer Instructions You will need to serve as a timer for your team mates, and will need to recognize the signals given during your time at the podium!
HOMEWORK EACH WEEK:
- Bring in a copy of an article/text to share with your classmates.
- Prepare at least 2 new attack cards. Make an extra copy of one of them to share with your classmates.
Week of 4/1/13:
- Create a list of your "impromtu" Pros and Cons
- Read the supplied articles, and list reasons for and agains on a piece of lined paper.
HW- Research both sides, and decide which side you would like to represent in the debate.
- Bring in an article to share with the class.
Week of 4/8/13:
- Continue to research both sides, and record many reasons. Make sure to include the information that you would need to create a Bibliography!
- Now that you know your side, create 2 attack cards. Make an extra copy of one to share with the class.
- Bring in an new article to share with the class.
Week of 4/15/13:
- Complete a first draft of your Constructive Speech. Follow the sample in your "workbook."
- Confer with your partner in order to create the Plan/Counter-Plan.
HMS Tournament will be held on Tuesday, May 7, 2013. The students with the top 8 scores will represent us at the regionals.
We will also take along 4 alternates to serve as timers and emergency substitutes.
The Regional tournament is scheduled for WEDNESDAY, 5/22/13.
Please let Mrs. Argen know NOW if you already know that you will be absent from school that day!
Last Modified on April 16, 2013