Physical Education Research
Exploring the reasons why we do what we do, in any aspect of our lives can help a person to develop (a different) perspective on a topic. Schools and education often set the blueprint for us in what it is that we have to learn. In this assignment you are being asked to research a topic in physical education of your choice. It could be the history, or the program qualities or even aspecific trend. After completing this assignment, it is our hope that you will come away with a different viewpoint on the subject of physical education and your program. It may even inspire you to think about other subjects you are taking in school.
Select a topic to research in physical education. As an example the topics could be any one from the list below or you can devise your own topic. All student developed topics must be approved by your teacher.
- What defines a quality physical education program?
- What is a physically educated person?
- How did the requirement of health and physical education come to be law in the state of NJ?
- What are the current and "best practices" in teaching physical education?
- What are professional associations and health related associations (ex. American Heart Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, Centers for Disease Control, National Association for Sports and Physical Education) saying about physical education?
- What sport, activity or topic would you like to see added to our program and why? Include some basic information about the skills, equipment and space that would be needed for your suggested activity.
- How is physical education different than athletics?
- What is Adapted Physical Education?
- How did Title IX impact sports and physical education opportunities for women?
Research and find information on their topic via the various resources available in the media center. Student will write a 2-3 (3 is the max) page paper using appropriate style and requirements for a research paper. Sources of study and your references must be noted on a separate piece of paper – this includes web based or print based resources. The research paper must have a cover sheet with a picture or non linguistic representation of the topic title or focus on it, the student’s name, PE period and teacher’s name. This assignment must be emailed.
Your assignment will be evaluated on the following:
- Completion of all tasks.
- Use of accurate content information, to support your summaries and reactions.
- Creativity - artistic expression and design.