School Dismissal Procedures
Dismissal from school will be supervised by school staff in accordance with the procedures outlined below. Parents/guardians are responsible for complying with these procedures, resuming custody of their children at the end of the school day and ensuring that their children follow their instructions for safe travel home from school. Parents/guardians who fail to pick up their children at dismissal or arrange for their safe travel home from school may be reported to appropriate authorities. K – 2 students who take the bus home must have an adult waiting for them at the bus stop. If no one is there, the child will be returned to school and the parent will be called to pick him/her up in the main office.
- You can access the school only from Mt. Pleasant, Hearthstone or Stonewall onto Blackstone. Traffic is one-way only during pick-up.
- You are NOT permitted to exit or drive around the oval. Drivers who do this create a dangerous traffic jam. Such action also impedes the buses from exiting the school property. You must exit to the north, i.e., toward Morningside or Stoneham.
- There are to be NO “K” turns on Blackstone Drive on school property. Under no circumstances are the orange barriers to be moved. The Livingston Police Department will ticket violators.
Each homeroom teacher is responsible for the dismissal of his or her class. If any teacher is not able to supervise during dismissal a substitute will be appointed to do so. A teacher is posted at each exit door at dismissal time to see that all students go to their appropriate dismissal areas or to the after-care program.
Teachers in grades K-2 will accompany their classes out of the building and see that each student is released in accordance with procedures designated by the parent/guardian on the School Dismissal Permission Form.
Teachers in grade 3 will walk their children to the appropriate exit door for dismissal. For grades 3 and 4, teachers will be stationed in the hallways to supervise dismissal.
Bus students will go from their classrooms to the cafeteria. A staff member will take attendance there and then escort the children directly to the bus.
Students attending after school enrichment (when in session) will go from their classrooms to the cafeteria, where their attendance will be taken by staff.
The playground will NOT be monitored or supervised after school hours. All other children should go directly home, into vehicles picking them up (see below) or to their assigned buses, and are not to play on school grounds without parental supervision.
Any child who ordinarily is picked up at school by an adult, but is not picked up within 15 minutes of dismissal, will be sent or brought to the main office. They should not leave school grounds. Any child who ordinarily is picked up at a bus stop by an adult, but is not picked up within five minutes of the scheduled bus stop time, will be returned to school after the bus run is completed unless other arrangements have been approved by the principal.
Exceptions or deviations from the dismissal procedure designated on the School Dismissal Permission Form will be permitted only if requested in writing in advance by the parent/guardian. Requests must be submitted to the teacher, and will be forwarded to the main office.
If a parent, guardian or other adult who ordinarily picks up a student after school is delayed for any reason, the main office must be notified before dismissal. The child will be sent or brought to the main office and will be supervised until he or she is picked up.
Reminder: For any last minute changes, parents/guardians must notify the main office no later than 11:00 AM if there is a change in the child’s dismissal. Please do not call after 11:00 AM unless it is a bona fide emergency. The office is too busy to take play date calls. Please make all after-school social arrangements prior to sending your child to school in the morning.
The back parking lot used by Physical Education classes is not available. Therefore, we need to continue to stagger dismissal to reduce traffic volume and tie-ups. Gates will be opened no earlier than 2:30 PM. We expect parents and caregivers to cooperate fully and adhere to the schedule and regulations indicated below. Please gauge your pickup time accordingly:
- Kindergarteners, first graders and all those taking the bus will be dismissed at 2:34 PM.
- Students in Grades 2 and 3 will dismiss at 2:38 PM.
- Grades 4 and 5 will dismiss at 2:40 PM.
PM Departures Regulations
- Cars may not park or stand in access lanes. Please do not leave your car unattended in illegal parking areas. Please do not leave your car parked unattended in the circle. Unattended cars will be ticketed.
- No child will be allowed to walk in the parking lot by themselves.
- You may not double park your vehicle anywhere on school property, including the front parking lot. Parents not in compliance cause major traffic jams and impede the flow of school buses and emergency vehicles. Tickets will be issued to violators.
- Parents may not park in designated slots reserved for the principal and office staff. Violators will be towed at owner’s expense.
- You may not walk your children between cars.
PM Pick-Up Locations
- Kindergarten parents should pick up their children in the kindergarten wing, and first grade parents should do so at the side door near the kindergarten wing.
- All second and third graders will exit the front of the building.
- Fourth and fifth graders can exit the back of the school or the front of the building. Please discuss where you want your child to meet you at the end of the day, so they know what door to exit.
- Older Riker Hill students picking up a sibling will be dismissed the same time as the younger sibling; the two should exit the wing attended by the younger child.
PM Parental Cooperation
To ensure that teacher supervision of the children not be impeded, please do not congregate around any of the exit doors and do not enter the building. If you need to talk to the teacher, please make an appointment via the normal channels to allow sufficient time and a more appropriate setting.