HOW CAN I HELP MY CHILD?
- Use the word wall chart to encourage correct spelling of words.
- Review your word wall words in different ways: play word wall Bingo, rainbow words- write your word wall words in different color crayons, play I Spy or make a word find to share with the class.
- Use the alphabet chart for proper letter formation.
- After writing a sentence, encourage your child to check for the three rules for writing a sentence. Start with a capital letter, spaces between each word and end with a punctuation mark.
After reading a fiction book...
- Retell the story including a clear beginning, middle and end
- Identify the story elements- characters, setting, problem and solution
- Make connections- Think of how the book reminds you of something in your life or another book.
- Compare two characters- They can be from the same or different books. You can even compare a character to yourself.
- Write down key words to help you remember the main ideas.
- See if you can recall information by looking at the key words.
- Try to write a summary of the book.
- Make a list of two new facts you learned.
Last Modified on September 1, 2016