School Dismissal Procedures
Dismissal from school shall be supervised by school staff in accordance with the procedures outlined below. Parents/guardians shall be responsible for complying with these procedures, resuming custody of their children at the end of the school day and ensuring that their children follow their instructions for safe travel home from school. Parents/guardians who fail to pick up their children at dismissal or arrange for their safe travel home from school may be reported to appropriate authorities.
All homeroom and/or special area teachers are responsible for the dismissal of his or her class. Teachers will see that each student is released in accordance with procedures designated by the parent/guardian on the School Dismissal Form. If any teacher is not able to supervise during dismissal a substitute will be appointed.
Students enrolled and participating in an aftercare program/after-school activity will go from their classrooms to the cafeteria, gym, classroom or other designated area. Appropriate YMCA or Home and School personnel will take attendance.
Except for after-care participants, the playground will NOT be monitored or supervised after school hours. All children not enrolled in the YMCA after-care program should either go directly home, into vehicles picking them up or to their assigned buses, and are not to play on school grounds without parental supervision.
Any child, who ordinarily is picked up at school by an adult, but the adult fails to collect the child at dismissal, will be sent or brought to the main office. They should not leave school grounds.
Pick-up / Parking Procedures
Drivers must comply with designated school drop-off/pick-up and parking procedures.
Parental Authorization for Each Student’s Dismissal Procedure
Parents/guardians will be required to submit a School Dismissal Permission Form, to inform the school administration of the dismissal procedure to be followed for each student. Options will include:
- Dismissal by the teacher, with permission to walk off school grounds
- Dismissal by the teacher to a designated area outside the school building to await pick-up (areas to be specified by each school);
- Ride home on the school bus, with dismissal by the bus driver at the student’s designated bus stop;
- Dismissal to an after-care program/after-school activity;
- Exchange of custody between the school and a designated adult (ID REQUIRED) at a designated areas within the school building.
Exceptions from Dismissal Procedures
Exceptions or deviations from the dismissal procedure designated on the School Dismissal Permission Form are disruptive to the school and will be permitted only if requested in writing in advance by the parent/guardian or in an emergency situation. Requests must be submitted in writing to the teacher, and will be forwarded to the main office.
If a parent, guardian or other adult who ordinarily picks up a student after school is delayed for any reason, the main office must be notified by phone before dismissal. The child will be sent or brought to the main office and will be supervised by a staff member for a brief period of time until they are picked up. If an unwarranted period of time elapses, it may be determined by the school administration that it is in the child’s best interest to call the Livingston Police Department for the appropriate transfer of supervision. If a pattern of late pick-up develops and/or persists, other arrangements must be made by the parent.
All students will be dismissed by 2:37 p.m. in accordance with the Student Dismissal from School policy and procedures.
- Students may only dismiss from the blacktop doors or the main doors to our building.
- Students in Grades 3-5 will exit from the main doors in the front of the building.
- Students in Grades 1-2 will exit the blacktop doors in the back of the building.
- Kindergarten students will be dismissed from the blacktop outside of the Kindergarten classroom doors. Parents should wait on the blacktop to pick up their children.
- Students will NOT be allowed to dismiss through the staff lot doors.
- At the end of the school day, only buses and PRIDE parents will be allowed to drive through the main entrance for pick up. All other families should park on Byron Place or Ridge Drive to pick up their students.
- If siblings are to meet before leaving the building, it is important that you designate a meeting place and be sure that both classroom teachers are aware of this location.
IMPORTANT!! Please make sure that the dismissal option you choose for your child is current and up to date on the parent portal.
DISMISSAL FOR PRIDE A.M.
- At 10:55 a.m., children will be dismissed from the side door of the staff parking lot.
- If you are picking your child up by car, PLEASE FORM A LINE BEHIND THE BUSES. NO CAR SHOULD PASS THE BUS TO EXIT. Alternately, you can park on Byron Place and walk to the door to pick up your child.
- Children taking the bus will be dismissed in the staff lot.
DISMISSAL FOR PRIDE P.M.
- At 2:35 p.m., if you pick your child up in a car, you MUST park in the lot in front of our school.
- Children will be dismissed at their assigned dismissal time from Door #2.
- Children taking the bus will be dismissed in the front of the building from Door #2. NO CARS WILL BE ALLOWED TO PICK UP IN THE STAFF LOT.