Safety Policies and Procedures
Harrison School Safety Policies and Procedures Information for Parents
Our Harrison School staff makes every effort to keep your children safe as they proceed through their daily academic and social routines. It is the responsibility of all of the adults in our school community to adhere to the following safety procedures and maintain an open line of communication in regards to any possible hazards.
- School doors are locked during the day and surveillance cameras are used.
- All visitors must use the main entrance which has an intercom/camera system.
- All visitors will be questioned as to their business and connection to the school. No outside vendors are permitted in the school without prior notice from the Board of Education offices or an appointment set with administration.
- Identified visitors will be buzzed into the office and are directed not to hold the door open for anyone in the vestibule.
- All identified visitors will be directed to the office and those who have an appointment or are volunteering throughout the school will be asked to sign in and take a dated badge. These individuals must wear this pass. Staff has been directed to challenge any adult in the building without a pass.
- If you need to drop off a forgotten lunch, instrument, birthday treat or see the nurse, please follow the above procedures. Once in the office the staff will take the materials and make sure your child receives his or her belongings. If the nurse is needed and available you will then be directed to the Health Office. Parents will not be permitted to visit the classrooms.
- We have a detailed Crisis/Emergency Plan and continue to train our staff in this plan.
- Our district works closely with both the LPD and LFD to ensure your child’s safety.
PARENTS and GUARDIANS –Please be aware that all traffic laws must be obeyed in the neighborhoods surrounding the school and our parking lot.
Children walk from many of the neighborhoods- thus we all must be vigilant. For example, parking on the wrong side of the street on Longacre makes it very difficult for drivers to see children in the crosswalks.
The LPD will be monitoring these areas. Please be careful and stop for pedestrians in the crosswalks!
Reminders Regarding Dismissal
- All parents need to send a note if any child is going to have a play date with a friend or deviate from their typical pick-up schedule as stated on the School Dismissal Permission Form. If a change in plans occurs due to an emergency please notify the office as soon as possible.
- Any child who does not have permission to walk home and is not picked up at dismissal should go immediately to the front office. Please reinforce that children should not leave the school grounds. This policy is reinforced every year in every classroom.
- If you get delayed for any reason, please call the office before dismissal to let us know. We will have your child(ren) come to the office until you arrive.
- Please be aware that we do not monitor the playground after hours. All children who have parental permission to walk home should proceed home at dismissal and are not permitted to play without parental supervision.
- It is imperative that all students who are driven to school be dropped off on the NORTH side of the building (Ashwood Drive entrance).
- Drop-off and pick-up in the designated zone area only. NEVER drop-off or pick up on the south side of the building or on the semi-circle in front of the building. The only exception would be for those individuals who need to use the handicapped space and ramp.
- If you are utilizing the DROP-OFF/PICK-UP lines please do not get out of your car. Children should enter or exit the car utilizing the passenger side only.
- Please instruct your child(ren) to keep their seatbelt on until your car has come to a complete stop.
- If your child(ren) needs assistance or are unable to unbuckle their seatbelts, you must park your car and walk your child(ren) to their line.
- DO NOT pass cars dropping off or picking up child(ren), as this is unsafe. There is not enough room to have a passing lane and pick-up/drop-off lane. The few minutes it takes ensures everyone’s safety.
- Please keep your speed low.
- The typical DROP-OFF Zone is near the Old Gym. .
- The PICK-UP ZONE is near the trees.
We dismiss approximately 250 children using the drop-off line. Please be patient so all of the children are safe.
- The pick-up area is near the trees-be aware of your speed. Please go slowly!
- Parents please instruct your children to be ready and looking for you in the afternoon. Siblings/Carpools must stand together.
- Six cars will be move into the pick-up zone near the trees at one time. A teacher will stand at the beginning and end of the line so that the line doesn’t move until all six cars are safely filled and doors are closed.
Ashwood Parking Lot
Please be aware of your speed. Do not drop children in lot. Please do not park in the upper section of the parking lot as these spaces are used by staff. Please do not double park or park in front of the emergency gates.
- Please do not park or drop children off in the bus circle in the front of the building.
- If you bring your child(ren) to school on the south side of the building and park on Briar Cliff Road please walk your child(ren) to the building through the path that comes from that street. The path empties into an active staff only parking lot.
- DO NOT pick-up or drop off on the south side of the building. Additional cars in this area are a threat to the safety of our children who walk to school on that side of the building.
- If someone, other than yourself, will be dropping off or picking up your child(ren), they need to know the procedures.
- Please make every effort to have your child at school on time. If you are running late, please park and bring your child to the office.
- Please treat all staff members with respect. We are all working together to ensure the safety of 450+ students.
While we continue to do everything in our power to protect your children, cooperation from parents and others in the community is vital. Please help us to keep your children safe. Please contact our main office at 973-535-8000 ext. 8110 if you have any questions. Thank you!