Writing poetry - Ideas that may help you to write poetry
- Decide on the subject you wish to write about. Start with a familiar subject and then go on to other subjects that you have never given much thought to
- Think about something special or unique to the subject
- List some descriptive words which may give clear information to the reader
- Try to create pictures in the reader's mind - your aim is to fire the imagination
- Express your feelings
- Convey your feelings by the tone of your poetry
- Bind the words and ideas together. Connect them by the use of rhyme or repetition
Get some rhythm into your poetry - the number of lines and your choice of poetry form will help you with this. Song lyrics are poetry set to music - tap out the beat or rhythm when you are writing poetry, or reading poetry
Visual patterns - does your written poetry create a good pattern on the page?
Patterns of Sound - using alliteration, assonance and onomatopoeia can create sound effects.
- Read your poetry to a friend!
- If you receive some constructive criticism don't be afraid to change your poetry accordingly!
- Enjoy yourself - Writing poetry should be fun!
“Writing Poetry.” http://www.poetry-online.org/writing-poetry.htm, 4/12/09.
Last Modified on April 12, 2009