Procedures to Become a Substitute
The Livingston Board of Education values the role of the substitute as an important one in our district. Our rates are competitive within our area, as we constantly seek qualified individuals to help us fulfill our teacher/support staff assignments.
To become a substitute in our school district, you should possess the following:
- A valid NJ Teaching Certificate OR
- A valid Substitute Certificate issued by the State of New Jersey (required ONLY for substitute teacher/nurse).
If you do not possess any type of certification, you will need to apply for a Substitute Certificate through the Department of Education which will include the following:
STEP ONE: (see Guide) Livingston Public School is your sponsor school.
STEP TWO: (see Guide) Criminal History Record Check Process (fingerprinting). (Codes you may need - Essex County Code=13; Livingston’s Code=2730; Service Code=2F1FB1) Fee applies.
STEP THREE: (see Guide) Apply for Substitute Credential on Teacher Certification Information System (TCIS) website. ($125.00 fee)
Once the above is completed please submit the following to our Human Resources Department:
- Tracking Number issued to you.
- Criminal History Approval. (Clearance approval takes approx. 2 weeks.)
STEP FOUR: Send a college transcript proving at least 60 credit hours:
Electronically to (preferred): - Doreen.Muschio@doe.nj.gov OR
Via Mail to (must be an official, sealed transcript sent from your school):
Essex County Office of Education
Leroy Smith Public Safety Building
60 Nelson Place, 1st Floor South
Newark, NJ 07102-1501
Attn: Doreen Muschio
To apply to Livingston Public Schools as a substitute, please complete the following documents:
- LPS Application for Employment;
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Form; and
- Provide proof of a Mantoux Test with negative results. A district school nurse will administer the test if necessary.
- All candidates will be interviewed by a member of the district’s administrative team. Those individuals who have successfully completed their paperwork and have been recommended for substitute employment will be placed on the next available Board of Education agenda for approval.
- Substitute Nurses need to provide a copy of their current nursing license.
Substitute Secretaries will be required to take and pass a computer skills assessment in order to be considered for substitute employment.
Due to the high volume of requests, the Livingston School District will only be able to process paperwork for individuals who intend on regularly substituting within the district.
Please contact Annette Ferreira (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Livingston Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.