Week 7 Medical Assignment
Assignment Topic: Drug Addiction
Rationale: You may or may not have already heard/learned about the opioid crisis in the United States. To put it into perspective, an average of 130 people die every day from an overdose (National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics, 2023). However, even given this statistic and whether or not you've seen the headlines in the news about opioids, you might not know what these drugs are - or their dangers. It is important to understand important facts about opioids and as well as how to be safe. Exploring this topic helps support you in making smart decisions, staying healthy, and helping others do the same.
- Student will be able to conduct research on opioids and drug addiction and relate the information to health dangers and risks that abusers pose to themselves and others.
- Student will be able to identify strategies and skills that drug abusers can utilize to become and remain drug-free.
- Student will be able to utilize creativity to formulate a slogan and a flier to encourage others to remain drug-free.
- 2.3.12.ATD.1: Examine the influences of drug use and misuse on an individual’s social, emotional and mental wellness.
- 2.3.12.ATD.3: Explore the relationship between individuals who abuse alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs with an increase in intentional and unintentional health-risk behaviors.
- 2.3.12.DSDT.4: Utilize peer support and societal norms to formulate a health-enhancing message to remain drug free.
- 2.3.12.DSDT.5: Evaluate the effectiveness of various strategies and skills that support an individual’s ability to stop misusing and abusing drugs and remain drug free (counseling, peer coaching, professional peer support group, and family counseling and support).
Conduct your own research, using media center resources as well as trusted sources on the internet, on drug addiction, opioids, and how opioids affect the brain.
In a 1-2 page essay, respond to the following:
- Explain how a person might increase their risk of health dangers associated with opioids. Consider both prescribed opioid medications as well as illegal heroin and fentanyl. Then, explain how they could reduce their risk.
- What are some strategies and skills that are available to drug users that support their ability to stop misusing and abusing drugs, and getting/remaining drug-free? How effective are these strategies and supports?
- What are some actions that people could take to help control the opioid overdose crisis, as related to both prescribed medications and illegal opioids? Consider individuals, medical professionals, elected officials, community organizations, etc.
Using the information learned from your research and your own knowledge/experiences, come up with an anti-drug slogan or message that enhances health and encourages others to remain drug-free. Using Canva or another creative website, create a flier containing your slogan/message, other related facts/information/hotlines, and images to promote remaining drug-free. Provide a list of your resources along with the above tasks in a comprehensive document.
Grading: Your assignment will be evaluated on the following:
- Completion of all assignment requirements.
- Use of accurate and up-to-date information.
- Creativity – formatting, aesthetic, and design.
- Submission of the assignment to your teacher’s email by Friday of the week assigned.
Based on the above items, your grade will be placed in the gradebook in lieu of your “participation” for the week.