Week 14 Assignment
Assignment Topic: Mental Health and Physical Activity Rationale: Research shows that participating in exercise releases feel-good chemicals called endorphins in the brain. Even a short burst of 10 minutes of brisk walking can improve your mental alertness, energy and mood. Whether you're tending your garden or running a marathon, exercise can significantly improve your quality of life. This assignment will highlight how mental health is intertwined into physical education, and you will explore the benefits of participating in exercise and physical activity. Objectives:
- Student will be able to understand the impact of physical activity on one’s mental health.
- Student will be able to demonstrate creativity to design an infographic related to mental health and physical activity.
- Student will be able to describe the role that mental health plays in physical activity, along with ways that mental health is prioritized in professional sports settings.
- 2.2.12.PF.1: Compare the short- and long-term benefits of physical activity and the impact on wellness associated with physical, mental, emotional fitness through one's lifetime.
- 2.2.12.PF.5: Analyze fitness knowledge in strength, conditioning, agility, and the physiological responses of the energy systems effects on the mind and body before, during, and after physical fitness activities.
Research the short and long-term benefits of physical activity in relation to its impact on physical, mental, and emotional health. In 2-3 paragraphs, discuss the following:
- What are the short-term and long-term benefits of physical activity? Include the physical, mental, and emotional benefits in relation to one’s health.
- How do these benefits help transfer to one’s everyday life? In other words, how do these positive effects impact other areas of the physically active individual's life?
On a poster, or using an online program such as Canva, create an infographic highlighting the benefits you researched and described in Part 1. Design this in a way that motivates viewers to be physically active in order to benefit their mental health, and is also aesthetically pleasing. Include your infographic in your submission of this assignment.
Research how mental health is prioritized/intertwined into professional sports. Locate an article that features mental health in the professional sports setting. Include the article and a one-page summary of the article in your assignment submission.
Grading: Your assignment will be evaluated on the following:
- Completion of all assignment requirements.
- Use of accurate and up-to-date information.
- Creativity – formatting, aesthetic, and design.
- Submission of the assignment to your teacher’s email by Friday of the week assigned.
Based on the above items, your grade will be placed in the gradebook in lieu of your “participation” for the week.